Police: Standoff in south Wichita stemmed from argument

Posted: Updated:

Wichita police say a standoff on Thursday that ended with five people being detained began as an argument and domestic violence incident two days prior.

Of the five people taken into custody, 29-year-old Richard Gray was the only one taken to jail. He was booked for two counts of aggravated assault, two counts of criminal threat, criminal possession of a firearm and domestic violence battery.

Officer Paul Cruz said the suspect, identified through booking records as Gray, allegedly battered a 31-year-old woman during an argument on Tuesday, causing a laceration on her forehead.

"The argument did continue for two days, which led to the incident yesterday," Officer Cruz said Friday morning. "During an argument between the two individuals (on Thursday)...we know that the male suspect, at one point, produced a handgun and fired a single gunshot inside the bedroom where the argument was taking place."

Officers and a SWAT team were called to the home near 31st Street South and Meridian, ordered everyone out of the home and took them into custody. The victim and three others were interviewed and released.

Cruz said Gray and the victim were dating.

Kansas Department of Corrections records show Gray has prior convictions of theft, attempted theft and attempt to elude law enforcement. 

Previous story:

An official with the Wichita Police Department says five people have been taken into custody in connection to a standoff in south Wichita.

Officers were called at around 11:15 a.m. Thursday to a disturbance with shots fired in the 3100 block of South Gordon, near 31st Street South and Meridian. Officer Charley Davidson said arriving officers began to approach when someone began to exit the home, saw officers and went back in the house.

After neighbors reported hearing gunfire, a SWAT team was called to the scene.

"Officers did surround the house and began using a loud speaker to give commands, asking for individuals to come out of the home," Officer Davidson said. "Since that point, five individuals have come out of the home and have been taken into custody without incident."

One of the females taken into custody had non-life-threatening injuries. Police don't believe her injuries were caused by gunfire. 

Police were clearing the scene by 1 p.m. 

Check out these photos from across KAKEland snapped by our viewers, staff and local officials. Do you have pictures to share with us? Email them to news@kake.com.