Police: 18-year-old shoots, kills 2 men trying to enter Wichita home

Posted: Updated:
Jeremy Burdine and Ky Jones Jr Jeremy Burdine and Ky Jones Jr

Police say an 18-year-old man shot and killed two people who were trying to force entry into his Wichita home.

Officers were called just before 3 p.m. Saturday to a shooting in the 1500 block of West Merton, near Harry and Seneca. Lt. Jeff Gilmore said officers arrived to find two men lying on the ground in front of the home and another exiting through the back door. 

The two men on the ground had been shot several times and were pronounced dead at a local hospital. They were identified as 20-year-old Ky Jones Jr and 20-year-old Jeremy Burdine.

The man who lives at the home, Skylar Ryce, was arrested and booked on unrelated burglary charges.

Lt. Gilmore said the 18-year-old and another person were in the home when the two men attempted to force their way in.

"The homeowner attempted to barricade the door to keep the individuals out. When the two males attempted to force entry into the home, the 18-year-old male retrieved a firearm and fired multiple shots through the door, striking both individuals.... Evidence does show us they were attempting to force entry into the home."

Gilmore said there have been ongoing problems between the homeowner and the two men he shot.

"We know that it was an altercation about some property that had been exchanged between the parties involved," Gilmore said, adding that officers had been to the home in the past.

The case will be presented to the Sedgwick County district attorney's office later in the week. 

Saturday's deaths were Wichita's first and second homicides of 2018.

10 of 38 Wichita homicides in 2017 remain unsolved

Previous story:

Wichita police say two people are critically injured after a shooting in west Wichita.

The shooting happened around 2:45 p.m. Saturday in the 1600 block of S. Fern Avenue near Seneca and Harry.

Police say they have a person detained and several witnesses are helping officers with the investigation. Officers are not saying what led to the shooting.

An eyewitness described seeing two people walk around the side of a brick duplex on Fern Avenue, then hearing at least four gunshots. The eyewitness said that when police arrived, there were two bodies laying on the ground. 

Sergeant Scott Moon of the Wichita Police Department says the neighborhood is safe, and they are not searching for any other suspect at this time. 

Area residents say that gun-related crimes are becoming a problem. 

"There have been multiple shootings down this street," said Onjolee Perryman.

She could not get home because of the crime scene was blocking her way.

"It's not a bad neighborhood, but it's not the best neighborhood," she said. 

KAKE News has been in contact with the Wichita Police Department to get an update on the two people who were shot; no updates have been provided as of now. 

Check out these photos from across KAKEland snapped by our viewers, staff and local officials. Do you have pictures to share with us? Email them to news@kake.com.