2 hurt in south Wichita house fire

Posted:
WICHITA, Kan. (KAKE) -

Two people have been hurt, one critically, in a house fire late Wednesday morning in south Wichita.

Crews were called just after 11 a.m. to a fire at a home near Harry and Market. They arrived to find smoke emanating from the home.

“Crews found heavy fire and smoke shown on the second floor of the house and the initiated an aggressive fire attack. Once additional crews came on scene we started treating the patients outside of the house," Lt. Jose Ocadiz said.

Officials at the scene said two people were in the home at the time of the fire. Both were hospitalized, one of them in critical condition.

Neighbor Charles Mcormick was home when the fire started next door and ran outside to see what was going on.

“I didn’t see no flames, but hell it was coming out of this window and that front window and the back window. When it was coming out it was black. I mean it was pitch black. I knew something in there had to be burning,” Mcormick said.

A space heater plugged into extension cords caused the fire, officials said. 

Check out these photos from across KAKEland snapped by our viewers, staff and local officials. Do you have pictures to share with us? Email them to news@kake.com.

MORE SLIDESHOWS HERE