Man shot by Topeka Police had been released from prison in May

Posted: Updated:
Courtest KTKA Courtest KTKA
TOPEKA, Kan. (AP) -

 Records show that a man fatally shot by two police officers in Kansas' capital was months out of prison after being prosecuted for burglary and illegal gun possession.

   Authorities confirmed Friday that 30-year-old Dominique Tyrell White had a criminal record and spent eight months in prison starting in October 2016.

   White died Thursday. Topeka police said he struggled with officers responding to a reported disturbance near a park, tried to flee and reached for a pocket containing a handgun.

   Authorities haven't identified the officers.

   Department of Corrections and court records showed White was sentenced to probation in 2015 for felony burglary and was discharged in August 2016.

   The records show he went to prison in October 2016 for illegal possession of a firearm as a felon and was released in May.

Previous story:  

The Latest on the shooting of a man by a police officer in Topeka (all times local):

3 p.m.

Topeka police say a man shot by an officer or officers has died.

The Police Department said in a statement that the man died Thursday at a local hospital after struggling with police near a park and attempting to flee.

They said he was armed with a handgun and reached for a pocket with the weapon.

Police did not identify the man or the officers involved in his shooting.

Police said officers responded to a report of a disturbance and shots being fired and encountered a suspicious person who was armed.

They said officers fired at the man after their struggle and his attempt to flee. He was then taken by ambulance to the hospital.

Police said the man's gun was recovered at the scene.

2 p.m.

Authorities are investigating what they're describing as a shooting involving a police officer near a park in Topeka, Kansas.

WIBW-TV reports that the shooting Thursday morning sent one man to the hospital, but no officers were injured. The man was shot in the chest, and Topeka Police Capt. Mike Cross said two officers administering first aid to him were covered in blood afterward.

Police said they first responded to shots in the area, and an altercation occurred after officers arrived. Officers from the Shawnee County sheriff's department and Kansas Highway Patrol also went to the scene.

The Topeka Capital-Journal reports that an agitated crowd of about 50 people gathered nearby but dispersed within half an hour. Police and city officials didn't immediately return phone messages from The Associated Press.

Check out these photos from across KAKEland snapped by our viewers, staff and local officials. Do you have pictures to share with us? Email them to