Propane leak causes home explosion in Butler County

Posted: Updated:
ROSE HILL, Kan. (KAKE) -

Authorities in Butler County say a 67-year-old man suffered critical injuries in a home explosion caused by a propane leak.

Andover Deputy Fire Chief Mike Roosevelt said, "At this point in the investigation we're certain that the incident was a propane explosion. The exact ignition source, the crews have not yet finalized their investigation for that."  

Sheriff Kelly Herzet said they received the report of a house explosion at around 3:15 p.m. Monday in the area of 155th Street and Indianola Road, which is near Rose Hill.

Neighbors say they heard a loud noise and called 911. When emergency crews arrived they found the homeowner standing with neighbors on the street, injured and disoriented.

The man suffered severe burns and was listed in critical condition. 

Propane is a common home fuel source in rural Kansas.  But Chief Roosevelt said, like any hazardous chemical it's dangerous when it gets out of its container.  He advises us to be alert for propane's odor.  Roosevelt said,  "Anybody that has gas heat in their home be alert to that odor, that smell of rotten eggs or a hissing sound around any of your gas fired appliances."   He said it's best to get out of the area.  The chief said, only if you can safely shut off the gas to the appliance, or better yet the whole house, then do it.  

Roosevelt said propane is heavier than air and so will seek the lower places, such as, a home's basement and accumulate.  

"Certainly there was a leak at some point and there was a certain amount of accumulation."  

He said an ignition source could be turning on a light switch or a motor coming on in a home.  But again, he reminds us, exactly where the leak was or its ignition source hasn't been determined.

A family member at the scene of the explosion Tuesday afternoon said man, identified as James Horn, remains hospitalized in critical but stable condition.

Check out these photos from across KAKEland snapped by our viewers, staff and local officials. Do you have pictures to share with us? Email them to news@kake.com.

MORE SLIDESHOWS HERE

  • Most Popular Stories

    • Drivers say contaminated diesel causing thousands of dollars in damage

      At least a dozen of you called KAKE News On Your Side Investigates, saying the fuel at one pump is costing them thousands and thousands of dollars in damage. 

    • Woman killed in shooting near Andover

      Deputies were called just after 10:30 p.m. Wednesday to a shooting in the 3200 block of North 159th Street East.

    • Police looking for man using stolen credit cards

      Police say he came in several times with different women, each time he used a stolen credit card to buy hundreds of dollars worth of items. 

    • Haysville motorcycle crash leaves two people in critical condition

      Ronnie Kondo has lived in the same, quiet, Haysville neighborhood for nearly 8 years now and he said accidents like this one happen all the time. “It’s a huge blind spot. If you’re speeding, there’s no time to react to anything,” Kondo said. 

    • Family of Ashley Meiss claim "foul play"

      National headlines continue to follow the disappearance of Kansas veteran Ashley Meiss. The mother of two was last seen in Ogden, Kansas on May 18th.  Initially, Ashley's family thought her on-going battle with PTSD, bouts of depression and pending divorce drove her to escape.  Now that doesn't look to be the story.

    • 2 critically hurt in crash in Haysville

      Dispatch confirms two people have suffered critical injuries in an accident that occurred near Timbercreek and Seneca, in Haysville. 

    • 911 caller told to put dog in truck; dog later found dead

      Police in Hutchinson, Kansas, say a dog died inside a sweltering animal control truck due to bad advice from a 911 dispatcher and lack of communication to animal control staff. 

    • Union says Spirit AeroSystems is overworking employees

      A local union says the city's largest employer, Spirit AeroSystems, is asking too much from its workers.

    • MGN Online

      Kansas priest defrocked after child sex abuse allegations

      Archbishop Joseph Naumann issued a decree in December removing the Rev. John Wisner from the clergy. 

    • Human remains found inside coffin at building being renovated in Derby

      Derby police are investigating after construction crews found what appear to be human remains inside an old coffin.