Fire at Butler Community College caused by overheated appliance

Posted: Updated:
ANDOVER, Kan. (KAKE) -

The Andover Fire Department says a fire at Butler Community College on Friday was caused by an overheated appliance in one of the building's break rooms.

Firefighters were called to a fire in building 5000 at the campus, which is at 715 East 13th Street. They arrived to find smoke emanating from the building. 

"The sprinkler system had activated and the fire was knocked down quickly. Damage was contained to the break room where the fire started," the fire department said in a news release.

No one was hurt.

Preliminary findings suggest that a countertop appliance had overheated a caught the cabinets on fire. 

The department was working with the college to clean up and get students back to class.

Check out these photos from across KAKEland snapped by our viewers, staff and local officials. Do you have a photo to share with us? Email it to news@kake.com.

MORE SLIDESHOWS HERE