50-year-old man dies a week after Wichita shooting

Posted: Updated:

Wichita police say the 50-year-old victim of a shooting last week has died at a local hospital.

The shooting happened at around 9 p.m. Sunday, May 14 near Harry and Fern streets. Lt. Todd Ojile said the victim and the suspect were neighbors had had been arguing prior to the shooting.

The victim, whose name has not been released, died at around 6:45 this morning. 

Following the shooting, 31-year-old Jimmy Suttle was arrested and booked for attempted second-degree murder, criminal threat, criminal possession of a firearm and three probation violations. The case will be presented to the district attorney's office on Wednesday for revised charges. 

Suttle remains jailed on $175,000 bond.

Kansas Department of Corrections records show Suttle is currently on Community Corrections for aggravated assault, aggravated battery, criminal damage to property, drug possession and forgery. 

Previous story:

Police say a Sunday night shooting in southwest Wichita was not a case of domestic violence. But they're not yet saying exactly what happened.

"There was a disturbance that led to a shooting," Sgt. Carlton Rodgers told reporters after the shooting at Harry and Fern. "Our victim was transported to a local hospital."

A 50-year-old man suffered a gunshot wound to the torso. Police arrested a 31-year-old for aggravated battery, aggravated assault and possession of a firearm by a felon. 

Rodgers noted a crowd of people was present when police arrived. But he did not say whether a party was going on, or something else was underway. He also declined to say if the shooting was gang-related.

One person was rushed to a hospital with critical injuries after a shooting Sunday night in southwest Wichita.

The call came out just after 9 p.m. from near the intersection of Harry and Fern. That's where officers found the victim. 

A heavy police presence blanketed the area soon after as the neighborhood was turned into a crime scene. 

Dispatchers at first told KAKE News the shooting was related to another call a few miles south, at the Westport apartments near 31st St. S and Meridian. But detectives at the shooting scene later said there was no connection.

The investigation is ongoing. Officers indicated more details will be released at a media briefing Monday morning.

Check out these photos from across KAKEland snapped by our viewers, staff and local officials. Do you have pictures to share with us? Email them to news@kake.com.