Toddler dies after being shocked at carnival in west Wichita

Posted: Updated:

A 15-month-old girl has died after being shocked at a carnival near Towne West Square last week.

A Wesley Medical Center spokesperson said Pressley Bartonek died after being shocked at the carnival on Friday. 

“Our Pressley passed away on Wednesday afternoon," the girl's family said in a statement. "We have made the difficult decision to donate her organs so that other patients in need of transplants no longer have to suffer through their illnesses and that her death was not in vain. We request that you respect our privacy during this difficult time.”

New focus on ride regulations after toddler is shocked at carnival

Josselin Sedivy was with her husband and two children the night the child was shocked. Her husband was one of several who stepped in to help. At the time no one knew what happened.

"We just saw the little girl unresponsive and everybody freaked out and was trying to help her, " Sedivy said. 

Later they discovered the child was holding on to one of the metal guard rails that surrounded one of the rides. According to Westar Energy, she was zapped by 290 volts of electricity. 

An online fund has been set up to help Pressley's family with expenses.

The carnival, run by Evans United Shows out of Missouri, is currently at the Kansas Expocentre in Topeka until May 28, according to the venue's website.

In Topeka, legislators put off a debate on delaying tougher regulations for amusement parks following Pressley's death. 

The House had been scheduled Friday to debate a bill delaying the new rules for a year until July 2018. Lawmakers approved the tougher regulations last month in response to the death of a colleague's son on a waterslide last summer.

The new law requires annual inspections of rides by qualified inspectors or certified engineers. The state Department of Labor sought a delay over concerns that some operators couldn't comply by July.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Previous story:

Wichita police are investigating after a child is found unresponsive at a carnival near Towne West mall Friday evening. 

Officer Charley Davidson of the Wichita Police Department said the 15-month-old was still in critical condition Saturday. Davidson said police were investigating the possibility the child was shocked. 

No one else was injured or involved. 

Check out these photos from across KAKEland snapped by our viewers, staff and local officials. Do you have pictures to share with us? Email them to