Cooking with KAKE: Sterling Silver Chuck RoastPosted: Updated:
Sterling Silver Chuck Roast
- 5 slices bacon, diced
- 2 pounds Sterling Silver chuck roast or shoulder roast, cut into 1 ½-inch cubes
- ? cup flour
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 12 ounces dark beer
- 1 tablespoon beef base, or 2 bouillion cubes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 8 ounces baby carrots, left whole
- 1 12-ounce bag frozen pearl onions
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes, with juice
- Cook bacon pieces in a large saute pan until fat is rendered and bacon is getting crisp. Remove bacon from the pan with a slotted spoon and add to crock pot. Leave the bacon fat in the pan.
- In a large bowl, toss the cut meat and flour together until the pieces are fully coated with flour.
- Add olive oil to bacon fat in sauté pan. Heat over medium-high heat and sear the meat until all sides are browned. Transfer the browned meat to the slow cooker.
- Add the beer and the beef base to the sauté pan and bring to a boil for one minute. Remove from heat and pour into the crock pot.
- Add remaining ingredients to the slow cooker and stir well.
- Place lid on slow cooker. Cook on low heat for 6-8 hours, or until beef is tender.