Vietnam pilot buried 51 years later

Posted: Updated:

Deana Klenda has waited more than half a century for this moment. The day she could properly bury her brother Major Dean Klenda. He was killed September 17,1965 while flying over Vietnam. His aircraft was hit by ground fire, he ejected but his parachute never opened.

"I could barely hear her voice and it was just very... they found him they, found him and she was just in tears and ecstatic," said Galvin Peters.

Peters is named after his uncle , he traveled in place of his mother to Hawaii to  bring Major Klenda home to Pilsen, Kansas.

"She definitely was frustrated at times," said Peters. "And I'm sure she shared the same frustrations as the men and women that were digging because... It literally to see the photos of where they were digging it was beyond a needle and a hay stack."

It's been a long journey to this day Major Klenda's remains were discovered in 2014,  but wasn't clearly identified until recently by Thomas Holland with the National League.

"The discovery yielded some dental remains from Dean Klenda," said Holland.  "Not only have I known the family, but also being the last identification that I signed just meant enough to me that I had to come."

"As long as I've been alive every thing with Dean  has been pushing to this moment," said Peters. " Its been 51 years for my mom so for her to be able... I hope she sleeps extremely well tonight."

Nearly 100 members from the American Legion Riders from across Kansas attended the service along with McConnell Air Force servicemen to support the family.

  • Most Popular Stories

    • Little girl testifies about night she was allegedly choked, raped

      A little girl testified in a Sedgwick County courtroom about the night she said she was choked and sexually assaulted. 

    • Second teen dies after car crashes into Kansas creek

      Two teenagers have died after a car they were in went into a creek in northeast Kansas during the weekend. Three other teens were able to escape without serious injury.

    • Police: Day care owner kept babies tied to car seats for 7 hours a day

      The owner of a Dallas-area in-home day care center has been jailed on child endangerment charges after she was accused of keeping infants and toddlers tied to their car seats for hours. 

    • Navy officer found dead on court day for order of protection

      A 37-year-old Navy Chief Petty Officer in Florida was found dead on Monday -- the same day she was to appear at a court hearing for an order of protection she sought against a man she claimed kicked her in the stomach and pulled a gun on her, authorities said. 

    • Fallen deputy's mother thanks supporters

      It was an emotional night as hundreds of supporters gathered at the law enforcement memorial for a candlelight vigil.

    • Driver hurt when vehicle hits large elk on I-70 in Kansas

      Kansas game wardens say one person was hurt when their vehicle crashed into a large elk on Interstate 70.

    • Missing in Kansas: Jackson Wallace

      A Wichita mom is asking for the public’s help with finding her teenage son. 

    • Haysville man charged with killing 4-month-old daughter

      Andrew Franklin, 32, was charged Tuesday with first-degree murder and two counts of child abuse. A judge set his bond at $250,000. 

    • An investigation is underway after an early morning house fire in downtown Wichita. Firefighters were called to a home around 1:15 a.m. Wednesday morning near Central and Wabash.

    • The page you requested is currently unavailable. Pages on this site are constantly being revised, updated, and occasionally removed. You may have followed an outdated link or have outdated pages in your