July 20, 2009
A joint World Cup bid by Belgium and the
Netherlands to host either the 2018 or 2022 tournament will be
considered by FIFA after all.
FIFA president Sepp Blatter said Monday that Belgian and Dutch
officials assured him that their co-hosting candidacy would be run
via a single organizing committee, not like the 2002 Japan-South
Korea tournament, which posed a headache for football's governing
Blatter's comments appeared to reverse skeptical statements he
made earlier this year, when he said joint bids will lose out in
favor of a strong proposal from a solo host.
"After the World Cup 2002, the executive committee took a
decision: never again a double candidature because it was
absolutely wrong," Blatter said.