KAKE - Schools - Headlines

KU Frat Where Pledge Died In 2009 Bans Alcohol

By: Associated Press
By: Associated Press

Stay up-to-date with KAKE News:

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Alcohol is no longer allowed at University of Kansas fraternity house where a 19-year-old freshman pledge died of alcohol poisoning four years ago.

The Kansas City Star reports the Sigma Alpha Epsilon chapter went dry this semester, becoming only the second on campus to ban alcohol.

The new policy has been in the works since Jason Wren died March 8, 2009, after a night of binging that resulted in him passing out in his bed at the fraternity house.

Investigators determined SAE had done nothing criminal to lead to Wren's death, but the fraternity was sued by Wren's parents and settled out of court.

House adviser John Stacy says pledge class numbers jumped this semester, and he hopes other fraternities on campus will consider making the change.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KAKE TV 1500 N. West Street Wichita, KS 67203-1323 (316) 943-4221
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 202528931 - kake.com/a?a=202528931