Tuesday, Aug. 24, 2004
A teacher says mold at Sullivan Elementary School in Ulysses made her sick, but administrators say the building is safe for kids.
Last fall Danna Baker became a first grade teacher at Sullivan Elementary School. This fall Baker is out of work and sick, from what her mother Vicki Wheeler believes is the result of a moldy classroom.
Baker says she was warned her classroom was known as the sick room.
Baker suffers from severe headaches. Doctors found two lesions on her brain and she was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. She says some of her students started having nosebleeds and were sick.
Superintendent Bill Hall says experts came in and advised the district on how to clean up the moldy classroom. He says a district maintenance worker cleaned up the mold.
Wheeler isn’t convinced.