KU Student Hurt After Accidentally Ingesting Chemical

By: Associated Press Email
By: Associated Press Email

Stay up-to-date with KAKE News:

Thursday, November 5, 2009

A University of Kansas graduate student was hospitalized in critical condition after he ingested a toxic chemical while working in a lab.

The university says it believes the student, whose name has not been released, ingested sodium azide accidentally while working Wednesday night in Malott Hall.

Lawrence Douglas County Fire and Medical inspected the fifth-floor laboratory early Thursday but found no hazardous materials.

The university opened the laboratory and building for normal operation after the inspection.

Sodium azide is an odorless and colorless preservative commonly used in school labs.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KAKE TV 1500 N. West Street Wichita, KS 67203-1323 (316) 943-4221
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 69284137 - kake.com/a?a=69284137