Friday, Sept. 10, 2004
Two students were sent to the hospital after ingesting a mix of prescription and non-prescription sleeping pills.
It happened around 11:30 Thursday morning at Bernadine Sitts Intermediate School.
Police responded to the school in reference to a possible drug overdose.
Investigation disclosed a 12-year-old girl brought prescription and over-the-counter sleeping pills to school and was allegedly distributing them to other students.
The 12-year-old girl was taken by ambulance to St. Catherine’s Hospital. The mother of an 11-year-old girl also took her daughter to the hospital. Both girls were treated and released.
A third 12-year-old girl consumed pills. She was released to her mother. Two other female students were offered pills, but declined to taken them.
An 11-year-old boy was offered pills, took them, but didn’t consume them and threw them away.
Police say the case will be sent to the county attorney’s office after the investigation is complete.