Overheated Transformer Forces Evacuation Of White House Press Room

By: ABC News
By: ABC News

Stay up-to-date with KAKE News:

Saturday, May 11, 2013

The West Wing of the White House was evacuated early Saturday morning due to an overheated transformer.

U.S. Secret Service told ABC News that at around 7 a.m., someone reported seeing smoke coming from what looked like a mechanical closet in the West Wing of the White House.

The D.C. Fire Department later clarified that it was an “odor that smelled like smoke” that was reported.

Out of an abundance of caution, the West Wing was evacuated and the D.C. Fire Department was called.

A D.C. Fire Department official said that the smell eventually dissipated, and there was no fire.

U.S. Secret Service said that this was caused by an overheated transformer. The situation is now all clear and people have been allowed back into the West Wing.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KAKE TV 1500 N. West Street Wichita, KS 67203-1323 (316) 943-4221
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 207038601 - kake.com/a?a=207038601
Gray Television, Inc.