Wednesday, December 21, 2011
Walmart says it has pulled a batch of powdered infant formula from stores nationwide after a newborn Missouri boy became gravely ill with a suspected infection and died after being taken off life support.
Walmart spokeswoman Dianna Gee said Wednesday the move is
cautionary as health officials investigate Sunday's death of 10-day-old Avery Cornett of Lebanon, Mo.
No government recall has been ordered for the 12.5-ounce cans of
Enfamil Newborn powder with the lot number ZP1J7G.
Avery received a preliminary diagnosis of infection from a rare bacterium called Cronobacter sakazakii.
The formula's manufacturer, Mead Johnson Nutrition, says the batch Walmart pulled tested negative for the bacterium. Spokesman Christopher Perille says numerous companies sell the formula, though it's unclear if others sold from that batch.