Tuesday, July 10, 2012
A Tacoma man needed emergency surgery after accidentally eating a steel bristle from a grill brush he used during a barbeque.
KING 5 reports that Adam Wojtanowicz went to the hospital Sunday complaining of abdominal pain that wouldn't go away despite his taking medication. Doctors found a metal bristle on a CT scan and performed surgery to get it out.
Wojtanowicz says he recently hosted a cookout, and he thinks a steel bristle from his grill brush fell onto his steak. He says he apparently swallowed the metal without realizing it.
The Centers for Disease Control says it knows of at least six people who have recently suffered similar, potentially fatal, injuries. It doesn't blame a particular brand or type of brush.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.