Denver (ABC) -- Officials are still trying to figure out how an intoxicated and disoriented woman was able to enter an elephant enclosure at the Denver Zoo, Monday night.
According to police, the woman was found inside of the enclosed exhibit near high-voltage wiring.
“Due to her level of intoxication, it was initially believed that she was electrocuted, but in fact she was just very, very drunk,” according to John White, public affairs officer of the Denver Police Department.
Denver Zoo security was alerted that a woman had been found inside the zoo’s Toyota Elephant Passage exhibit around 8:55 p.m., according to a statement from the Denver Zoo. However, no animals were in the yard at the time.
“It’s a 10 acre exhibit with five yards, Tiffany Barnhart, director of communications for the Denver Zoo, told ABC News. “There are physical barriers between guests and the elephants that prevent them from entering the exhibit. She would have had to climb over a fence or a planter or a gate in order to get inside,” Barnhart said.
The woman, said to be in her twenties, was transported to a nearby hospital, White told ABC News.
According to Barnhart, the Zoo is regularly inspected for safety and is accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums.
“We meet the highest standard of exhibitory and animal care and safety,” Barnhart said.
Denver Police and Denver Zoo are investigating the incident. No criminal charges have been filed against the woman, according to White.