Saturday, February 16, 2013
A combination of lottery winnings and illegal drugs turned explosive for two brothers in west Wichita Friday evening.
Officers responded around 7 p.m. to the report of an explosion in the 100 block of North Nevada Court. That's near Douglas and West Street.
Sgt. Bruce Watts says two brothers were in a residence celebrating after one had won $75,000 on a lottery ticket.
"They decided to smoke some weed and meth, because one of the brothers had just won a 75 thousand-dollar lottery ticket," Watts said.
The other brother, 27, went in the kitchen to refill butane torches for the bongs they were using. He emptied two "big cans" of butane, leaking fumes into the air. The vapor cloud reached the pilot light in the furnace.
"And as you might expect, 'kaboom,'" Watts said.
He suffered second-degree burns to his hands, arms and chest. His girlfriend put him and her kids in the car and took him to Via Christi on St. Francis. She fled after dropping him off and has not been located.
After obtaining a search warrant, police went back to the residence where the brother who had won the lottery admitted to having marijuana and meth. He was jailed on drug charges.
The brother who was burned is currently in serious but stable condition.