40 Students In Hospital After Tennessee Gas Leak

By: Associated Press
By: Associated Press

Stay up-to-date with KAKE News:

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

More than three dozen students have spent the night in a hospital after carbon monoxide leaked at their Nashville private school.

Drexel Preparatory Academy principal Cheryl Bowman told WTVF-TV students began coming to the office Monday morning complaining of flu-like symptoms. Officials decided to cancel classes.

After students were sent home, the school got a call from Vanderbilt University Children's Hospital, saying several students had been brought in and showed high levels of carbon monoxide.

Hospital spokesman Craig Boerner said Tuesday that 49 students were eventually brought in by parents and 40 of them were admitted for 23 hours of oxygen treatment.

Workers found a hole in a heating unit that serves the central part of the school. Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas produced by combustion.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KAKE TV 1500 N. West Street Wichita, KS 67203-1323 (316) 943-4221
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 186941001