Judge: Fort Hood Suspect Could Be Forcibly Shaved

By: Associated Press
By: Associated Press

Stay up-to-date with KAKE News:

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

A judge says the Army psychiatrist charged in the fatal Fort Hood shooting rampage will be forcibly shaved if he doesn't remove his beard on his own.

Maj. Nidal Hasan appeared in court Wednesday sporting a beard, as he did during a court appearance last month. The beard violates Army regulations. Hasan says his beard is an expression of his Muslim faith.

On Wednesday, Col. Gregory Gross found Hasan in contempt of court for keeping the beard and fined him $1,000. Base spokesman Chris Haug says Gross gave Hasan the choice to shave on his own or be forcibly shaved sometime before his court-martial begins Aug. 20.

It's not yet clear what Hasan and his attorneys will decide.

Hasan is charged with killing 13 people in the 2009 attack.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KAKE TV 1500 N. West Street Wichita, KS 67203-1323 (316) 943-4221
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 163721916 - kake.com/a?a=163721916