Afghan Shooting Suspect Heading To Ft. Leavenworth

By: Associated Press
By: Associated Press

Stay up-to-date with KAKE News:

UPDATE: Friday, March 16, 2012

The attorney for a soldier accused of killing 16 civilians in Afghanistan says the suspect is from Lake Tapps, Wash.

John Henry Browne, a defense attorney from Seattle, confirmed the identity of 38-year-old Army Staff Sgt. Robert Bales on Friday.

The military had earlier declined to name the suspect. A senior U.S. official said Friday it was Bales, speaking on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the investigation into an incident that has roiled relations with Afghanistan.

Friday, March 16, 2012

A senior defense official says the U.S. soldier accused in the killings of 16 Afghan civilians is expected to be flown to the U.S. military prison at Fort Leavenworth, Kan., as early as Friday.

The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because of security surrounding the move, says the shift does not necessarily mean a decision was imminent on announcing formal criminal charges
against the suspect.

The suspect, whose name has not been made public, was moved from Afghanistan to Kuwait on Wednesday. Officials say that transfer was necessary because there was no appropriate detention facility to
hold him in Afghanistan.

Ft. Leavenworth is the military's only maximum-security prison.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KAKE TV 1500 N. West Street Wichita, KS 67203-1323 (316) 943-4221
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 142919605 - kake.com/a?a=142919605