A four-year-old Wichita boy is listed in critical condition, following surgery Sunday night for a mauling by the family Rottweiler.
Police say the attack happened about 4:30 p.m. Sunday in the victim's back yard. The boy was bitten on the face and neck before his parents could pull the dog off
One of his sisters told police he also was bitten by the family's black Labrador. Animal control officers removed both dogs from the south Wichita home.
Police spokesman Bruce Watts says the father had picked up the stray Rottweiler and taken him home within the last two or three weeks.
kake.com Extended Web Coverage
Dog Attack Statistics
- 4.7 million dog bites are reported in the U.S. annually
- 800,000 dog bites require medical attention each year
- Reported dog bites have increased 37 percent since 1990
- For every dog bite fatality, there are 670 hospitalizations
- Children are the most frequent victims
- Children are most frequently bitten in the face and neck area
- Boys ages five to nine are bitten most frequently
- 334,000 dog bites require emergency room visits
- Dog attacks cost society about $1 billion each year
- Insurance companies pay about $250 million each year in dog bite case claims
- State Farm Insurance alone processes more than 14,000 dog bite claims each year
- More than 7,000 U.S. Postal carriers report being bit by a dog each year
Sources: drklein.net contributed to this report