Good Question - Curbside Soliciting

By: Jeff Herndon Email
By: Jeff Herndon Email

Stay up-to-date with KAKE News:

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Sue Neal of Wichita wants to know more about curb-side solicitation. “Are permits required to ask for money at Wichita intersections, and are there any restrictions?” Good question.

The answer is yes, they do. Any charitable non-profit organization may solicit for donations at approved intersections within the city limits. But they must apply and be approved for a charitable solicitation event license.

There are regulations involved:

  • Soliciting may occur only on the behalf of a licensed non-profit organization at approved intersections.
  • Solicitors must be at least 18 years old.
  • Solicitors are not allowed to approach your car unless you roll down your window or give a signal.
  • They cannot step off the curb or median when the light is green or traffic is moving.
  • They must have obvious or prominent signs identifying who they are and what organization they represent.

    A permit costs anywhere from $30-60, depending on when the organization applies for it. If the rules are broken, the Wichita Police Department is the enforcing authority.

    Send your good questions to

  • Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
    powered by Disqus
    KAKE TV 1500 N. West Street Wichita, KS 67203-1323 (316) 943-4221
    Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 45047037 -
    Gray Television, Inc.