Residents Displaced After Topeka Apartment Fire

By: KAKE News Email
By: KAKE News Email

Stay up-to-date with KAKE News:

Sunday, January 20, 2013

More than 20 people were rescued from an apartment after a cooking fire broke out Saturday night in Topeka.

Crews were called to the blaze in the 1300 block of SW Harrison Street around 11:45 p.m.

WIBW reports heavy smoke and flames were visible from a second-story apartment. Several of the victims were treated at the scene for minor injuries. One was taken to a local hospital in stable condition.

The fire is being classified as an accidental cooking fire caused by unattended grease on the stove.

Damage is estimated at $50,000 total, $20,000 of that to content and $30,000 in structural damage.

The Red Cross and the Topeka Transit Authority assisted the 20 adults and 5 children displaced by the incident.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KAKE TV 1500 N. West Street Wichita, KS 67203-1323 (316) 943-4221
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 187653511 - kake.com/a?a=187653511
Gray Television, Inc.