Derby Fire Result Of Spontaneous Combustion

By: KAKE News Email
By: KAKE News Email

Stay up-to-date with KAKE News:

UPDATE: Monday, December 10, 2012

A fire that did extensive damage to a Derby home was caused by spontaneous combustion.

Fire investigators made the determination after finding the source to be oil-soaked rags left in a big pile in the garage. The homeowners had recently been staining the deck of the house, located near K-15 and Meadowlark.

The two adults who live at the home along with their cat made it out safely and are staying with family.

The fire caused $65,000 in damage to the home and garage, and $30,000 to the contents.



Friday, December 7, 2012

A early morning fire destroyed a garage and severely damaged a home in Derby.

The fire broke out around 5:30 a.m. near K-15 and Meadowlark. It was reported by the Quik Trip across the street.

The garage is a total loss but the car inside was saved. The couple who lives in the home was woken up by the flames. They were treated with oxygen, along with their cat, and are expected to recover.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KAKE TV 1500 N. West Street Wichita, KS 67203-1323 (316) 943-4221
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 182522271