UPDATE: Derby says it has resolved 'vicious' dog case

By: Lily Wu - Email
By: Lily Wu - Email
More Video...

Stay up-to-date with KAKE News:

DERBY, Kan. — City officials in Derby say they have resolved a case involving a pair of 'vicious' dogs.

The city released a statement saying "Nukka" and "Blue" were released to their owners, Tyler Boyles and Leanna Short, after receiving rabies vaccinations and microchips. The owners agreed that the dogs were dangerous and would be removed from the city.

"I'm pleased that the city prosecutor and the dog owners were able to resolve this unfortunate incident with terms beneficial to both parties," said Kathy Sexton, City Manager.

"Once the public safety issue was resolved on July 16, it was everyone's desire to do what was best for the dogs. The City never intended to seek to have the dogs euthanized."

The dogs and their owners have been living in Sedgwick County.

Previous story:

The dog owners want to be reunited with the husky and pit bull involved in a vicious animal complaint this week.

"I'm really hoping that I just get to bring my dog home. I know there's going to be limitations," said Tyler Boyles, dog owner of Blue, the pit bull.

Boyles said his dog was left under the care of his roommate on Monday afternoon. His roommate let his husky, named Nukka, and Blue outside to use the bathroom. Boyles said somehow the dogs got away.

"Went driving around everywhere looking for her. It was just a scary moment," said Boyles.

On Wednesday morning, Boyles saw photos on social media of his wounded pit bull and thought she was dead. Police explained the events that led to Blue getting shot on Tuesday morning.

"We didn't chase them down and shoot them. These dogs were encountered in a front yard. The one dog appeared aggressive and hostile to the officer. The officer thought he was going after the animal control officer, so he shot it," said Lt. Tim Brant of the Derby Police Department.

Since then, Nukka has been taken to the Wichita Animal Shelter while Blue has been recovering from her wounds at a Derby veterinary clinic.

Some people in the community have rallied behind the dogs with more than 1,800 likes on a Facebook page called "Save Blue & Nukka" and more than 4,000 signatures on an online petition.

"I couldn't do it on my own. Just how people are stepping up and helping is awesome. I couldn't thank them enough," said Boyles.

The dog owners have a first court appearance on July 31 in Derby. A judge will determine what will happen to the dogs.

A Derby pet grooming business is leading an effort to save the dogs involved a vicious animal complaint this week.

Employees of Purdy Pet in Derby have created a petition for the two dogs involved in a nearly 24 hour search.

A fundraising effort is also underway to help pay for medical bills and other expenses involved with Blue, the pit bull that suffered a minor gunshot wound by a Derby Police officer.

More than 1,900 signatures have been gathered online at http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/team-free-blue.

Owners of the dogs were each cited for their pets violating the vicious animal ordinance.

A first court appearance is scheduled for July 31 at 9 a.m. at the Derby Police and Courts building. A judge will then determine what will happen to the two dogs, accused of killing a cat on Tuesday morning.

Police and animal control officers have captured two dogs, one of which was shot, following a vicious animal report.

In a news release by the Derby Police Department, they recount the events that led to the shooting.

Around 7 a.m. on Tuesday, Derby Police responded to the report of a vicious animal in the 2100 block of North Duckcreek Lane. When officers arrived, they found a husky and a pit bull lying on top of a cat that appeared to be dead. The resident told officers the dogs had mauled her cat.

A city spokesperson also said the pit bull approached another neighbor who was putting her trash cart at the curb, and was growling and barking at her.

While a Derby animal control officer attempted to capture the husky using a catch pole, the pit bull circled that officer and a police officer growling and barking. As the dog continued to move closer, a police officer fired a single shot from a shotgun, hitting the pit bull in the chest.

“Any time we deal with a vicious animal our goal is to safely capture the animal without incident,” said Derby Police Lt. Tim Brant. “Because of the aggressive nature of the pit bill reported to and witnessed by the police officer, the officer believed the pit bull was going to attack so he shot it to protect human life.”

After the shot was fired, both dogs ran off. They were later tracked to an area along railroad tracks but officers were unable to catch them. Then, after 4 p.m., officers were dispatched a a business in the 700 block of North Buckner after the dogs were seen on the back porch. The dogs ran again.

At about 6 a.m. Wednesday, officers were sent to the 200 block of North Water for the report of two dogs in a backyard. The resident told police she was concerned and didn't want to be attacked. Nearly 24 hours after the initial call, officers were able to capture the dogs.

The pit bull was taken to a veterinarian for treatment and the owners have been located. They live outside Derby, near 47th Street South and K-15.

Photo of husky that was captured

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KAKE TV 1500 N. West Street Wichita, KS 67203-1323 (316) 943-4221
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 267352901 - kake.com/a?a=267352901