Thursday, January 24, 2013
Sedgwick County firefighters have a kitchen fire under control at a home in Garden Plain.
The fire broke out around 8:15 Thursday morning at a home the 1200 block of North Main in Garden Plain, near US Highway 54 and 295th Street West.
A wheelchair-bound woman called 911 saying ther was a fire in her house, and that she couldn't get off her back deck.
A Garden Plain police officer was first on the scene and he, along with neighbors, helped the woman away from the home. She was not hurt.
Crews reported smoke upon arrival, and found the fire's origin in the kitchen. It has since been extinguished.
Firefighters tell KAKE News this started as a grease fire, and there's minimal damage to the home. A damage estimate is not yet available.