Hutchinson Baby Who Swallowed Feather At Home

By: Associated Press
By: Associated Press

Stay up-to-date with KAKE News:

UPDATE: Thursday, December 13, 2012

A Hutchinson baby who apparently ingested a feather is home from the hospital and doing well.

The nearly 7-month-old girl, Mya Whittington, was hospitalized during the weekend while doctors tried to determine why her jaw swelled. Eventually, a doctor pulled a 2-inch feather out of her neck area.

The girl's father, Aaron Whittington, said Wednesday the baby was home from the hospital. Doctors decided not to treat an enlarged area on her neck that has a hard knot inside it. They say the area will heal on its own.

The Hutchinson News reports the little girl has become something of a media star. Aaron Whittington says the family has received numerous requests for interviews to discuss his daughter's unusual medical drama.



Wednesday, December 12, 2012

A 7-month-old girl was a bit of a medical mystery after being admitted to a Hutchinson hospital Saturday when an area of her jaw swelled up larger than a golf ball.

Luckily, a doctor at Hutchinson Regional Medical Center discovered the problem when she pulled a 2-inch black feather out of young Mya Whittington's neck area.

The Hutchinson News reports the girl at some point likely swallowed or inhaled the feather, which then pierced the inside of her cheek or throat. The feather was trying to force its way out of her body, which caused the swelling.

Doctors say the girl probably had been in a lot of pain for quite awhile. But her mother, Emma Whittington, says her daughter cried only when nurses poked her.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KAKE TV 1500 N. West Street Wichita, KS 67203-1323 (316) 943-4221
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 183188101 - kake.com/a?a=183188101