Woman Dies In Officer-Involved Shooting

By: KAKE News Email
By: KAKE News Email

Stay up-to-date with KAKE News:

UPDATE: Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Wichita police said a woman was sitting on a front porch with a knife, bottle and lighter minutes before she lunged at officers with the weapon.

Authorities were called to a disturbance in the 700 block of N. Spruce around 10:30 p.m. Tuesday. There they found the woman on the porch, stabbing herself.

Chief Norman Williams, Wichita Police, said the woman then approached two officers with the knife. The officers shot the woman after she repeatedly ignored their commands to drop the weapon.
Williams said the woman told the officers to shoot her, while the officers asked the woman to "drop the knife."

Williams said the officers fired when the woman got about five to seven feet from them. Williams also said that officers are trained to assess and make decisions within seconds in a situation
where their safety as well as the safety of the public is a primary concern.

The woman was taken to a nearby hospital where she was pronounced dead.

The woman has been identified as Karen Jackson (Day), 45.

Williams said the woman was at her husband's house after filing a protection from abuse order against him. Her husband left and called police.

The two officers have been placed on administrative duty pending the investigation. The Kansas Bureau of Investigation, along with the Sedgwick County District Attorney’s Office, responded
to the scene to assist with the investigation.

This is the eighth officer-involved shooting and the fourth fatality in 2012.

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

A 44-year-old woman is dead after an officer-involved shooting in northeast Wichita late Tuesday night.

Just before 11:00 Tuesday night, officers responded to the report of a domestic disturbance in the 700 block of N. Spruce. When they arrived, the officers found a distraught woman with a knife.

The woman came at the two officers with the knife. The officers told her several times to stop, but she ignored their commands. The officers then fired at the woman. She was taken to the hospital, where she was pronounced dead.

Wichita Police Captain Jeff Easter says the woman had other injuries that she had received before officers arrived.

We expect to learn much more at a news briefing on Wednesday morning. Stay with KAKE News for the latest on this developing story.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KAKE TV 1500 N. West Street Wichita, KS 67203-1323 (316) 943-4221
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 162025995 - kake.com/a?a=162025995