Wichita Woman Critically Injured While Making Coffee, Dies

By: KAKE News Email
By: KAKE News Email

Stay up-to-date with KAKE News:

Sunday, May 5, 2013

An elderly woman who was critically burned in a cooking accident in North Wichita last Wednesday has died.

Esther Cohoon died Friday at the hospital where she was being treated for her burns.

The accident happened around 6 a.m. Wednesday at the home Cohoon shared with her grandson in the 3100 block of North Wellington Place. According to a fire department investigator, 96-year-old Cohoon making coffee on a gas stove when her robe touched the flame and caught fire.

The woman's grandson stays with her at night, and was awakened by the smoke alarm. He ran to the kitchen and found her at the sink trying to put the fire out. He grabbed the faucet's spray nozzle and extinguished the fire.

EMS was called, and transported the woman to the hospital with second and third degree burns to approximately 33 percent of her body.

Services for Cohoon are scheduled for Tuesday morning.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KAKE TV 1500 N. West Street Wichita, KS 67203-1323 (316) 943-4221
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 205587781 - kake.com/a?a=205587781
Gray Television, Inc.