Severe weather is possible across KAKEland Wednesday into early Thursday.
Keep it with the KAKE First Alert Forecasters for the latest weather information.
Monday, July 9, 2012
A Wichita man who was nearly electrocuted by a Westar Energy power line is now suing the company for negligence. Don Hollimon was shocked with thousands of volts of electricity on July 5, 2011, in the 2400 block of South Hydraulic.
Hollimon was working for Micor Communications, a subcontractor for Cox Communications. A civil lawsuit filed in Sedgwick County District Court last week says Hollimon had climbed the Westar pole to service the Cox line that was also there.
"The pole and power lines had foliage on them," the complaint reads. "Subsequently, when plaintiff reached the area of the pole to begin his work, electricity from defendant Westar's transmission line went through the foliage and plaintiff was shocked and knocked unconscious."
The lawsuit claims Westar was negligent in several ways, including by failing to inspect their transmission lines regularly, failing to cause removal of foliage from their lines, allowing a dangerous situation to exist on their electric poles, and failing to warn plaintiff and others with access to the pole of the dangerous situation.
Hollimon claims he has suffered damages in the form of pain and suffering, mental anguish, loss of time, loss of enjoyment of life, medical expenses, economic loss, permanent disfigurement and permanent disability. He is seeking monetary damages in excess of $75,000.
A civil discovery hearing is scheduled for Aug. 30 in Sedgwick County District Court.