Wichita woman critical from house fire

Stay up-to-date with KAKE News:

Wichita, Kan. -- A Northwest Wichita woman is in critical condition from a Christmas Eve fire.

The fire was called in just before nine Tuesday morning.

Firefighters say the fire near 13th and Maize was relatively small and they brought it under control quickly.

Wichita Fire Marshal Brad Crisp says, "A female occupant was located on the main floor of the home. We believe the fire originated in the bedroom. We have investigators on the scene here and also at the hospital trying to put the pieces of the puzzle together as we speak."

Crisp says the woman was alone at the time of the fire. She was transported critical to Via Christi, St. Francis.

Crisp says damage to the house is estimated at $15,000 and an additional $5,000 damage to contents.

The Fire Marshal says we need to be extra careful this time of year because of the holidays and the cold weather. "This is the time of the year when people are at home and they're using candles and fire places and cooking. So we really want people to pay attention to what they're doing, make sure their smoke alarms work and have a plan to get out of your home in the event of a fire."

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KAKE TV 1500 N. West Street Wichita, KS 67203-1323 (316) 943-4221
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 237199531 - kake.com/a?a=237199531