Monday, July 15, 2013
Wichita Police have released additional information in last week's standoff that ended after 32 hours when the suspect was killed.
This morning, Wichita Police Chief Norman Williams briefed the media on the events that led to up to the standoff:
On the afternoon of July 4, a woman was stabbed multiple times during a party at a Derby home in the 700 block of South Woodlawn. The suspect fled the scene. The woman was taken to an area hospital in critical condition but is expected to recover.
The next day, on July 5, a warrant for attempted first degree murder was issued for the victim's boyfriend, 24-year-old Jared Lee Woosypiti.
Last Wednesday, July 10, a suspect attempted to rob the pharmacy inside Kmart located near 47th Street South and Broadway. When employees refused to give him prescription medication, the man fired shots into the floor and ceiling. No one was hurt.
Officers soon tracked the suspect to the Southlake Village apartment complex in the 4100 block of South Seneca and began attempts to negotiate with him. A woman was with him at the time, and she was able to get out safely. Officers learned the man inside was Woosypiti, and the woman who escaped had also been involved in a relationship with him.
Police had also received information that Woosypiti was on drugs, suicidal and had been making bombs containing nails.
Inside the suspect barricaded all windows and doors to prevent officers from entering the building.
Wednesday night and into the early hours of Thursday morning, the SWAT team tried to get the man to surrender using tear gas and a controlled explosion. Early Thursday morning, the suspect said he was going to come out, but instead broke through the wall into an adjoining apartment unit.
Around 5:45 p.m. Thursday afternoon, SWAT team members entered the apartment and the suspect fired several shots. Officers returned fire and eventually pulled back from the building.
Later that night, officers set off three controlled explosives, used a water cannon and deployed additional tear gas in an attempt to get the man out.
Through the course of the standoff, Chief Williams said the suspect fired on officers on at least five different occasion. He said that the suspect also indicated that if officers came inside, the apartment "would go up like the Fourth of July." Based on what had transpired, Chief Williams gave the order for officers to end the standoff.
"I made the final decision to go ahead and take him out," Williams said.
Shortly after 10:30 that night, additional shots were fired, and the suspect was killed.
Officers did not immediately remove his body, fearing he had set up booby traps before his death.
During the standoff, more than 100 law enforcement officers were on scene, as well as 9 SWAT teams from around the state. The autopsy is not yet complete.
The Reno County Sheriff's Office will lead the investigation into the officer-involved shooting. Reno County Sheriff Randy Henderson said 3 detectives have been assigned to the case, and that they will be interviewing several Wichita police officers. Once that investigation is complete, findings will be turned over the district attorney's office.