Monday, July 15, 2013
A child has died from injuries she received in a house fire late last week in southeast Wichita.
The fire started around 7 p.m. Thursday at a home in the 3900 block of East Countryside, near Harry and Hillside, in southeast Wichita.
According to Acting Wichita Fire Marshal Stuart Bevis, three girls, ages seven, six and four were home alone when the 6-year-old found a lighter and was lighting plastic trash in the bathroom. At some point, she ended up setting a portion of her clothing on fire. She ran to a nearby bedroom and began taking her burning clothes off, catching the room on fire.
Neighbors could hear a smoke alarm going off and went next door to investigate. They could hear the three girls screaming, trying to get out through the locked front door. One neighbor helped free the children from the burning house before fire crews arrived.
The six-year-old was rushed to an area hospital with critical injuries, and has since died. The other two were treated for minor smoke inhalation and are now in police protective custody.
Investigators are still trying to determine why the children were home alone.
Damage is estimated at $40,000 for the house and $15,000 for contents.