KAKE | Wichita, Kansas | News, Weather, & Sports

KAKE First Alert Weather ​| Always Tracking | Always Alerting​ | Always Protecting

Two Hospitalized With Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

By: KAKE News Email
By: KAKE News Email

Stay up-to-date with KAKE News:

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

A man and woman were hospitalized with carbon monoxide poisoning they suffered while renovating a southeast Wichita duplex late Tuesday afternoon.

Wichita Fire and Hazmat crews responded to the 2500 block of South Holyoke Court at around 5:30 p.m.

The two had a gas-powered generator and took it inside the duplex, said Wichita Fire Captain Chuck Peaster. The carbon monoxide overtook them.

Both were taken to the hospital, one in critical condition, the other in serious condition.

Hazmat set up fans to clear out the gas.

Peaster said the effects of carbon monoxide can strike quickly. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include flu-like symptoms, headache and a “cherry-red face.”

“Any time you’re running a gas-powered appliance, you need to keep it outside,” Peaster said.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KAKE TV 1500 N. West Street Wichita, KS 67203-1323 (316) 943-4221
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 181085461