KAKE | Wichita, Kansas | News, Weather, & Sports

Carbon Monoxide Cited In Greensburg Hotel Incident

By: KAKE News / Associated Press Email
By: KAKE News / Associated Press Email

Stay up-to-date with KAKE News:

UPDATE: Monday, December 10, 2012

A south-central Kansas hotel has reopened after carbon monoxide exposure sent more than 30 people to a hospital where they were treated and released.

Sunday's incident caused a brief evacuation of the Best Western Inn & Suites in Greensburg.

Kiowa County Sheriff Kendal Lothman said Monday that several children had got out of the hotel swimming pool with dilated eyes and difficulty breathing.

Lothman says the children had been exposed to high levels of carbon monoxide believed to result from a water heater failing to vent properly. Guests were allowed back in their rooms later Sunday, but the pool area remains closed until the problem is fixed.

Hotel manager Ron Wright said Monday he was thankful nobody was seriously hurt.

UPDATE: Monday, December 10, 2012

The Best Western Inn & Suites in Greensburg says it continues to investigate why several guests became ill and had to be evacuated.

The hotel briefly evacuated all three floors Sunday after a suspected carbon monoxide leak.

Hotel manager Ron Wright said Monday more than 10 guests were evacuated as precaution, but the hotel reopened later that afternoon and everyone was able to go back to their rooms.

He says the problem was confined to the pool area and may have been caused by a boiler located there.

He says the hotel is thankful nobody was seriously hurt because it could have been much worse.

The pool area remains closed until the problem is fixed.

Sunday, December 9, 2012

The Kiowa County Sheriff's Office will release more information Monday morning about a suspected carbon monoxide leak in Greensburg. It happened Sunday at the Best Western Inn and Suites.

Kiowa County Memorial Hospital Administrator Mary Sweet tells KAKE News that 34 people were treated at the hospital but all were released with no serious injuries.

Hotel employees were unable to comment about what may have happened. We expect to have more information Monday.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KAKE TV 1500 N. West Street Wichita, KS 67203-1323 (316) 943-4221
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 182765351 - kake.com/a?a=182765351