Student facing charges for fire in middle school bathroom

By: KAKE News - Email
By: KAKE News - Email

Stay up-to-date with KAKE News:

WICHITA, Kan. — A middle school student is facing charges after allegedly starting a fire in a bathroom.

It happened around 11 a.m. Thursday at Mead Middle School. That's located in the 2600 block of East Skinner.

Fire investigators say a student set a plastic towel dispenser on fire in one of the bathrooms. The school was evacuated and the fire was quickly extinguished.

The fire caused about $2,300 in damage, but investigators were more concerned with toxic smoke put off by burning plastic, but everyone made it out safely.

Video cameras in the school helped authorities identify a suspect, who is now facing charges.

Investigators said instances like this are more rare thanks to video cameras and the presence of SROs.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KAKE TV 1500 N. West Street Wichita, KS 67203-1323 (316) 943-4221
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 250351931 - kake.com/a?a=250351931
Gray Television, Inc.