Derby Business Owner Suspects Storm Sparked Fire

By: Phil White Email
By: Phil White Email

Stay up-to-date with KAKE News:

Stay up-to-date with KAKE News:

Thursday, June 27, 2013

The owner of a Derby heating and cooling business heavily damaged by fire Thursday night believes severe weather was likely the cause.

Mike Beck, owner of MJB Heating and Cooling, 201 S. Baltimore, Derby, said he got a phone call telling him his building was on fire as a severe thunderstorm moved through Derby and Sedgwick County Thursday evening. Beck said when he arrived on the scene, he saw a power pole had been blown over onto the building's power supply.

The fire, which forced the closure of K-15 sent thick, black smoke rolling into nearby neighborhoods. Beck said employees of a business that rents space from him were in the building when the fire started. The were alerted to the fire by a Derby Police officer and were able to get out safely, he said.

Beck said the business and building are insured, but this fire happened during his busiest time of year.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KAKE TV 1500 N. West Street Wichita, KS 67203-1323 (316) 943-4221
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 213425801 -
Gray Television, Inc.