UPDATE: Standoff Forces Apartment Residents Into The Heat

By: Phil White Email
By: Phil White Email

Stay up-to-date with KAKE News:

Thursday, July 11, 2013

7:00 a.m.: The standoff on South Seneca now is more than 14 hours old. Negotiations with the suspect apparently are still underway.

KAKE's Jordan Shefte reports from the scene some residents are returning to the apartment complex to check on the situation.

1:30 a.m.: The standoff on South Seneca continues, after more than eight hours. Shots were fired in the 9:00 p.m. hour Wednesday, but no injuries were reported.

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

The standoff at a south Wichita apartment complex with the suspect in a Tuesday attempted robbery and a Fourth of July stabbing forced many of the complex's residents into the afternoon heat.

Some residents of Southlake Village were allowed to return home about 8 p.m. However, those who live in the building where the standoff was going on and the two nearest to it were kept out.

For those who got to go back, the nearly six-hour wait was hot, frustrating and scary.

"I'm trying to get to my babies," said Southlake Village resident Amanda Klingenberg. "They're in there and I'm freaking out."

Klingenberg was able to call the friend who was babysitting her 1-year-old and 4-year old children and learn they were away from any danger as SWAT officers were engaged in a standoff.

Police said the man barricaded in an apartment in Southlake Village is the same man who attempted to rob the pharmacy and fired gunshots inside the K-Mart at 47th Street South and Broadway about 1:30 p.m. Tuesday.

Sources close to the investigation told KAKE News the suspect is Jared Lee Woosypiti, who is wanted in connection with a July 4 stabbing that sent a woman to a Wichita hospital with critical injuries. That woman was listed in good condition Tuesday.

At Southlake Village, Casanova Cruz was babysitting in the building where the standoff began when he was told by police to leave.

"I was in the refrigerator getting ready to feed the kids and wash the dishes and had a big bang on the door," Cruz said. "They told me I had to get out of the building."

Then began several hours of waiting for residents of the apartment complex. Police did not allow residents into the complex as they returned home.

"It's kind of irritating because you want to go home," said Christie Gregg. "But I'd rather be safe than sorry."

Gregg said crime and any kind of police activity are uncommon in Southlake Village.

"It's very quiet usually, so it's kind of different," she said.

Victoria Hostick, another resident of the complex agreed.

"It's more of an older audience that live here," Hostick said. "It's very quiet a lot of times."

Cruz, who was not among the residents allowed to return home, was hoping things quieted back down soon so he could go home.

"We're going to hang out and wait and see how long it's going to be," he said. "Then if it gets too late, then we'll just head to one of the family houses."

A Wichita Police officers told residents who were still waiting outside the complex about 11:30 p.m. that police and apartment management were working to find them a place to stay for the night.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KAKE TV 1500 N. West Street Wichita, KS 67203-1323 (316) 943-4221
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 215026451 - kake.com/a?a=215026451
Gray Television, Inc.