Rural Augusta home saved from fire

Stay up-to-date with KAKE News:

AUGUSTA, Kan. -- A wind swept fire southeast of Augusta forced a man to pack up his family Sunday night and evacuate. But thanks to volunteer firefighters, his home was spared.

As the flames crept closer to Chuck Cline's home, Butler County Sheriff's Deputies told him he'd better evacuate. Cline got his wife and three children into the car and drove down the road to wait it out. He didn't know if he would have a home to come back to. Then the cavalry came.

"About that time the fire crews showed up within minutes," Cline said. "I mean it was incredible. Butler County Fire Department was just incredible."

Cline said the fire consumed over 200 acres, but the firefighters kept Cline's propane tank cool and stopped the flames from reaching his home. And some firefighters stayed near the home all night watching for a flare up. That insured Cline's children could sleep soundly.

He said they did lose one of their dogs to the fire but everyone else is fine. Today, Cline is getting thank you cards for the firefighters.

Fire departments from at least four towns assisted along with the Butler County Sheriff's Department and Kansas Highway Patrol.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KAKE TV 1500 N. West Street Wichita, KS 67203-1323 (316) 943-4221
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 242280881 -