Report: Gas Vapors Caused Plaza Restaurant Fire

By: Associated Press Email
By: Associated Press Email

Stay up-to-date with KAKE News:

March 13, 2013

Federal and local officials say a fatal explosion and fire at a Kansas City restaurant last month were sparked by natural gas vapors in the restaurant.

The Kansas City Fire Department and the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosive said Wednesday the cause of the Feb. 19 blast at JJ's restaurant was the "accidental ignition of natural gas vapors that accumulated" inside the restaurant.

The explosion and fire injured 16 people and killed a 46-year-old woman who worked at the restaurant near the Country Club Plaza.

The Missouri Public Service Commission and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration are conducting a separate investigation into the cause of the natural gas line break near JJ's.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KAKE TV 1500 N. West Street Wichita, KS 67203-1323 (316) 943-4221
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 197867221 - kake.com/a?a=197867221
Gray Television, Inc.