HUTCHINSON, Kan. --- A house three miles east of Hutchinson is destroyed by fire.
Hutchinson Deputy Fire Chief Doug Hanen says the homeowner was working in the garage replacing a car's fuel pump. Hanen says evidently fumes from the gas tank were ignited by a propane heater then quickly spread to the rest of the house.
There aren't fire hydrants in the rural neighborhood since it isn't served by municipal water. That required responding fire departments to bring water in with water tender trucks.
Hutchinson, Buhler, Haven and Yoder fire departments responded.
Chief Hanen says everyone in the house got out safely. But one family pet dog died in the fire while another dog got out safely.
The house, he says, is a total loss.