Pre-dawn fires damage two garages

By: KAKE.com Email
By: KAKE.com Email

Stay up-to-date with KAKE News:

WICHITA, Kan. - Fire crews had to head into the pre-dawn cold Thursday due to two fires in Haysville and Wichita garages. But the cold weather may have saved one family from injury.

A family was sleeping around 5:15 a.m. in the 4500 block of South Gold when their heater shut off. They felt the building cold, but then a friend sleeping on a living room couch heard clicking and popping. It turned out to be the burning garage.

Everyone on the home evacuated safely, but there was an estimated $20,000 in damage.

Inspectors think the fire started with some kind of electrical problem. The house had no smoke detector to alert the family to danger.

About an hour earlier, a garage fire was handled in the 9100 block of South York in Haysville. Cars in the garage showed extensive damage. No injuries were reported.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KAKE TV 1500 N. West Street Wichita, KS 67203-1323 (316) 943-4221
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 241636431