WICHITA, Kan. - Fire crews had to head into the pre-dawn cold Thursday due to two fires in Haysville and Wichita garages. But the cold weather may have saved one family from injury.
A family was sleeping around 5:15 a.m. in the 4500 block of South Gold when their heater shut off. They felt the building cold, but then a friend sleeping on a living room couch heard clicking and popping. It turned out to be the burning garage.
Everyone on the home evacuated safely, but there was an estimated $20,000 in damage.
Inspectors think the fire started with some kind of electrical problem. The house had no smoke detector to alert the family to danger.
About an hour earlier, a garage fire was handled in the 9100 block of South York in Haysville. Cars in the garage showed extensive damage. No injuries were reported.