WICHITA, Kan. - An early morning fire caused extensive damage to a Wichita home.
The call came in around 1:10 a.m. at 719 North Ash, near Murdock and Grove. Firefighters at the scene said a fireplace was not well kept, and it erupted into flames.
Crews noticed the attic of the house burning first. The roof of the home eventually caved in, and the back wall received extensive damage. But four people living there were able to get out unharmed.
The flames were so strong for a time, there was concern the north wind might blow the fire next door.
Fire Captain Robin James told reporters the damage is extensive to the attic and back, and the house could be declared a total loss.