Shawnee police say the death of a 16-year-old boy this summer underscores the dangers of working on computers without being fully trained to do so.
The teen was found dead in his home Aug. 16, and an autopsy indicated the youth was electrocuted after accessing the power supply area of a computer.
The computer was unplugged at the time, and police believe the boy was stripping an older computer for parts. They say many people don't understand that computers carry a charge even when they are unplugged and broken.
Police say it's not a good idea to strip an old computer to build a new one because of the danger it poses to people who don't know what they're doing.