Window Unit Sparks Fire In Central Wichita Home

By: KAKE News Email
By: KAKE News Email

Stay up-to-date with KAKE News:

UPDATE: Monday, August 6, 2012

A woman injured in a weekend house fire has been released from the hospital.

It happened in the 400 block of S. Laura around 1 p.m. Sunday. Crews arrived to find heavy smoke and flames showing from the back of the home.

A woman suffered smoke inhalation from the fire after trying to save her cats. She was taken to a nearby hospital and released.

Capt. Stu Bevis, Wichita Fire, said a window unit overheated and started the blaze. The fire quickly spread to blankets and other belongings placed near the window unit.

Bevis said excessive storage containers were placed throughout the home, making it difficult for crews to get around inside.

The fire caused about $45,000 in damage.

Sunday, August 5, 2012

Wichita firefighters are working to extinguish a house fire near midtown.

The fire was reported just after 1:00 p.m. in the 400 block of S. Laura Street, which is just northeast of Kellogg and Washington.

Authorities on scene say flames were showing from the structure, and one person has been critically burned.

We have a crew on the way and will provide updates as they become available.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KAKE TV 1500 N. West Street Wichita, KS 67203-1323 (316) 943-4221
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 165066516 -