Objects In Donut Put Kansas Boy In Hospital

By: wibw.com, Topeka Email
By: wibw.com, Topeka Email

Stay up-to-date with KAKE News:

August 26, 2013

A sweet breakfast treat left a 6-year-old in a hospital.

On Sunday morning, 6-year old Logan Ratai's father brought him some donuts for breakfast.

"They are a treat for our sons, that's why my husband got them," said Logan's mother, Kelly Ratai.

But, the sweet treat ended up not being so sweet for Logan.

"And it turned it not a very fun day for Logan," said Kelly.

Logan is in a hospital bed at the Irwin Army Hospital in Fort Riley after he took a bite of a glazed cake doughnut from the Wal-Mart bakery in Junction City. His mother says that Logan said the doughnut tasted crunchy and then he chipped a tooth.

"There were pieces of black metal, some of them looked like rings, like washers off of a little screw, some of them were black metal fragments, like real sharp pieces," says Kelly.

Kelly says that Logan complained he had abdominal pains after swallowing the objects from the doughnut.

"It kinda hurt my tummy," says Logan.

"It breaks my heart to see, " says Kelly.

And even though Logan says he is still in a little bit of pain, he has kept his sense of humor.

"I hope I can try the new kinds of donuts," says Logan.

Logan's mother says the pediatrician says Logan will start antibiotics and be put on a clear liquid diet. She also says that the Junction City Wal-Mart has pulled all of those bakery donuts off the shelves.

A Wal-Mart spokesperson said the company's food safety team is looking into the incident, reaching out to the doughnut supplier and trying to figure out what happened.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KAKE TV 1500 N. West Street Wichita, KS 67203-1323 (316) 943-4221
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 221162571 - kake.com/a?a=221162571