EMPORIA, Kan.-- A fire blazed through Sterling House completely destroying the nursing home and forcing residents to evacuate late Friday night just before midnight in Emporia.
All of the residents of the senior living facility are safe reports the Emporia Gazette.
Fire crews were called to the residential home at 1200 W. 12th Ave. where residents were evacuated from the building, and taken to the Newman Regional Health, where a staging area was set up.
The Emporia Fire Marshal's Office says the cause has been traced to improperly disposed of fireworks.
Photo credit to Emporia Gazette photographer Dustin Michaelson